Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Life at UPSI

          Only 3 posts for February? Quite little compare to previous month, don't you think so? I guess I'll update everyone with my new life here at UPSI - Sultan Idris Education Univeristy, Tanjong Malim, Perak.


          UPSI is formerly known as a teaching training institute. However, it is upgraded into a university in year 1997. Click here for the historical background. The name of hostel that I'm staying is Kolej Harun Aminurrashid (KHAR). From the yellowish stain of the wall, the scratches from the tiles and the condition of the toilets, I assume that this college is at least 30 years old. 

This is the view from my window. 

          I don't get to enjoy the view if it's around 7.45am in the morning because everything will be covered by mist. The mist will be gone if the sun shines, which is around 8.15am. In other words, the weather here is cooling. Very often I have to put on the jacket in the morning and boil hot water to bathe. 

Impressed by heavy mist? 

          Tanjong Malim rains daily. So, it brings quite a lot of inconvenient in life. First of all, I'll have to bring an umbrella along daily because I don't want to study with damp clothing. I'll freeze to death when the air con is around 18 or 20 degree Celsius (even it's set toe be 26 degree Celsius, I'll still be frozen to death because I can't withstand the cold). Secondly, my clothing can never be dry. The fan plays an important role in drying blowing them. Haha.

         Before I forget, we have to take buses to the campus. I have to be at the bus stop an hour early if the my lecture hall is situated at the furthest campus. The worst thing is, the buses prepared are not sufficient. In the end, the students will have to fight our ways to get into the bus after class like a gang of barbarians. We are future teachers. If the authorities of the university wish to see us behaving like one, then prepare sufficient buses and modify the bus stops so that we can queue up for buses. 

This is the new campus, and also the furthest campus from my hostel. 

The parking lots. 

The air-conditioned lecture rooms. 

          Next is the library.

Shelf which is packed with books. There are plenty of shelves there. 
This proves that the library is indeed a resourceful place. 
And also a heaven for nerdies. Teehehe.

Plenty of tables for students to study. Yes, I mean plenty at every level. 

However, if you wish to be alone or have peace while studying, there are tables located at strategic places. You will have no peace by having laptop in front of you.

        I'm impressed by the library. IPDA's library has no match with UPSI. There are 3 levels. Each of the levels are full with racks and all the racks are actually full with books. Unlike IPDA's, there are still many spaces left. Another good thing that I found at the library of UPSI is, they take good care of the books. If the book is in bad condition, they will specially coat it with a hard cover. I still remember I personally 'heal' the reference books that I borrowed from IPDA because I appreciate my books very much. 

      I'm fortunate to be blessed with an opportunity to be in a twinning program with local university. Therefore I appreciate it very much. I actually have many goals to achieve in my university life. The first thing I want to do in university is to make as much friends as possible. Next is to enjoy my university life as much as possible - for example, pursuing what I want to do instead of tailing my friends, be confident when speaking in front of the class as well as to improve my English to the max. Thirdly is to try my best in my studies. This is what I can do to honour my parents besides being a good girl. 

      To build my confident, I actually joined Drama and Theater as my co-curricular activity. It falls on 5-7pm, every Tuesday. I attended my first session today and I enjoyed myself very much. The lecturer is cool and inspiring, the seniors are friendly and professional, the members are funny, sporing and initiative. During the first lesson, I introduced myself in a special way (instructed by the lecturer). Surprisingly, I didn't feel shy or awkward in front of everyone. I guess I'll have to say I love joining Drama and Theater. I'll love it more if it's conducted in English because my Bahasa Malaysia sucks to the core. 

 A Proscenium stage.
 The center of the  stage is called center.
The left and right side of the stage are called left and right (the directions are based on the position of the actor when facing audience). 
The place which is closer to the audience is called down and up refers to the place near the wall. 

Looks grand isn't it? I wonder if I've the opportunity to act on the stage. 
Hmm. I don't mind if I'm acting a minor role.
 At least I participate in a big play rather than joining a dull and boring club.

          It's already 2.52am. Woh. Morning lecture tomorrow at 8am and last lecture ends at 7pm. I'll see how am I able to survive the day. I hope you enjoy reading. Good night and see ya some time. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment