Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm a Hock Chew Lang

HUR HUR HUR! 
I found WiFi here! <3 

          Weee~ I never thought that there is wifi at my granny's house. :D Must be one of her neighbour's. The moment when I found the connection is like I've found a paradise to rest at the dessert. Lolol! The signal is good too. So good until I can log on to Facebook and play my Facebook game. Teehehe. I'm now addicted to Maplestory Adventure Facebook game. It's a simple version of Maplestory. Asiasoft launched it. At least by playing such simple version of Facebook can cure my addiction for the real Maplestory and at the same time, ease the pain of my heart.

          We started our journey at 3pm, delayed by one hour because dad went to get his new car. A Mercedes Benz- C series. Wohhhh. He must be feeling happy to get his car as his belated birthday present. Ok, cut the crap short. So we arrive Ayer Tawar at 6pm plus plus. I ate my favourite Hock Chew dish as dinner. 

Red wine mian xian.  (红酒面线) 

         Mian xian is a type of noodle, made of rice flour (if I'm not mistaken). It is very fine, finer than bi hun. To cook a nice mian xian, you need to pay some attention to it. 

First - Put mian xian into boiled water, CAREFULLY. As I told you it is finer than bi hun so it breaks easily. And MAKE SURE that the water is enough. Or else the mian xian can be really sticky. 

Second - Slowly use chopstick to spread the noodle. This is to make sure that all of them are cooked at the same time. 

Third - Observe the mian xian. Once all of them started to float on the water, take them out from the water quickly. You don't want the mian xian to overcook because they'll become soggy. Once they're soggy, the mian xian couldn't absorb the taste of the soup well already. :) So, once you get them out from the hot water, soak them into a bowl of COLD water (don't need to be icy cold). The reason is.... I don't know. HAHA! I was taught to do so. 

Four - Place them into a bowl and add the red wine soup in it. Then.. tada! :D

          Besides knowing the right way to cook the mian xian to be QQ, you need to master the skills of cooking the soup. Now let us look at the soup, It is reddish and a little oily. Don't worry, they're not cooking oils. These are oils from the meat. Well, we always see a layer of oil when we drink home-made herbal soup, right? 


First - Add some oil into the cooker, and then sliced gingers.  

Second - Add chicken, cook them until they're cooked. You can actually start adding red wine when the chicken is almost cooked. After adding red wine, pour some water (depending how dilute you want the wine taste to be).

Third - Boil it for some time so that the taste of chicken is mixed with the taste of the wine. No worries, you won't get drunk after drinking the soup. Alcohol has low boiling point. The wine isn't imported from overseas. They're handmade. :) My granny makes them. I don't know the details but my dad knows. 

          Yes, I'm a Hock Chew. It's rare to see Hock Chew people in Peninsular and I'm one. -Proud proud-  I heard we can find many Hock Chews at 2 of the states in West Malaysia. One is Perak - you can actually see them around Ayer Tawar, Sitiawan, Pantai Remic (around this region) and another state... I couldn't remember, I'll ask dad someday. You can find many Hock Chews at Sarawak, plenty of them. :)

          I'm a Hock Chew but I don't know how to speak. It's a sad thing to hear that, isn't it? My father never teaches my siblings and me how to speak our mother tongue. He said we don't sit Hock Chew paper in our exams so it is useless to learn it. Haha. My dad is kawaii some times. Nevermind that. If I don't know how to speak at least I know how to cook. I will learn how to cook Hock Chew dishes from my mum. So far I know how to cook this red wine mian xian only because it is rather simple. :X 

        This will be the first dish that I'll cook for my husband after I get married. <3 That's all for this post. Nights peeps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment